HomeSearchRegisterLog in

TI Cougar - Track Built

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Cougar
Cougar

TI Cougar - Track Built  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TI Cougar - Track Built    TI Cougar - Track Built  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2019 8:24 pm

Spoke to a few people I know about my E36's, in the end I agreed on a price for them both and within a few hours they were trailered away with their new owner.

Quickly got onto the internet in search of a new project, I knew I wanted something 4WD and 4cyl, didn't really leave me much option really.. some nicely priced WRX's, Evo's and various other cars. Then I saw a close to standard Evo 8. Local too, quite high mileage but it says well maintained so figured it's worth a view. Caught an Uber out to him and had a chat about the car.

I will be trailering it to events and track days so I don't have to balance between road and track use. Also will be nice to not have to be stranded hundreds of miles from home if I do bin it on track (which will most likely happen).

We agreed on a price and I arranged transport back to the workshop. I've always loved this generation of Evolutions but I've never owned one, or even worked on one for that matter. So this will be a learning curve not only with a different type of motorsport but also a completely different chassis.

TI Cougar - Track Built  - Page 2 Img_4911
Back to top Go down
Falken HD
Mechanic
Falken HD

PostSubject: Re: TI Cougar - Track Built    TI Cougar - Track Built  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2019 8:38 pm

Good read buddy Sad Haven't laid eyes on my Starion in quite some time, good to know you check on our oldies. Loved the E36's you've had but the Evo should be a super fun build Cool
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/andy.madej
Cougar
Cougar

PostSubject: Re: TI Cougar - Track Built    TI Cougar - Track Built  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2019 8:41 pm

I remeber that Starion ripping! Found a load of old pics of my S14 and your 240 from back in the day! Dude we had some proper laughs hahaha!

That S14 might get rebuilt in here one day..
Back to top Go down
Cougar
Cougar

PostSubject: Re: TI Cougar - Track Built    TI Cougar - Track Built  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2019 8:38 pm

Update on my first real track day.

Over the past week i have been building up the Evo with a few friends offering their help and advice where needed. I owe a huge thanks to Matt, he helped out setting up my suspension and alignment on the Evo.

I trailered the Evo to track for a day of time attack. I arrived nice and early to get set up. After the drivers briefing I headed to the track, first few laps were slow to be expected. But I got the hang of it, a few adjustments when I get back to the shop but overall i am happy with the car!

Few more mods to be installed over the next week in preparation for the next track day!
Back to top Go down
Cougar
Cougar

PostSubject: Re: TI Cougar - Track Built    TI Cougar - Track Built  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2019 6:46 pm

Drifting is just something I can't get away from. Something I can never seem to get out of my head. As much as im loving time attack in the Evo I'm always thinking about getting sideways in a sketchy built car!

Always been looking out for something I can slide about in. Seen this G35 up for sale for a while but always talked myself out of it. It says it's fitted with a set of Tein coilovers, stripped out interior and a welded differential.

Took a day to drive out and have a look at it, it's a little over 100k miles on the clock, I've read these VQ motors need to be stripped and properly serviced around 120k. Judging by the way the car looks id say it's been pretty well maintained.

Ended up scooping it up, trailered it home not before doing an obligatory burn out. There's a drift day I've signed up for in a few days so should be a good test to see how the G35 does and where I need to improve.

Updates should be more frequent on this than the Evo as I have a better idea of what I'm doing with this car. Plus with a drift car it's never really done...

TI Cougar - Track Built  - Page 2 Img_7610
Back to top Go down
Cougar
Cougar

PostSubject: Re: TI Cougar - Track Built    TI Cougar - Track Built  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2019 9:33 am

Prepping for the drift day at Sonoma this Friday by servicing the G35. Engine and diff oil changed, reconditioned the K&N filters that came with the car, tightened up the handbrake, full nut and bolt check too. Everything on the car seems sound, not a major amount of rust to deal with either so that's a bonus!

I did want to drop the subframes and burn out the original rubber bushings and swap in some solid ones. With the Evo needing some attention too I decided against it, don't want to potentially miss out on my first drift day in years!

The G35 is loaded and strapped down on the trailer with a few sets of spare tyres all ready for Friday. Next update will probably be Saturday now, let's see if I crash the G35 or not!
Back to top Go down
Cougar
Cougar

PostSubject: Re: TI Cougar - Track Built    TI Cougar - Track Built  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2019 10:07 pm

First drift day in the G35 under the belt, took it down, ragged on it all day with no fuss from the car.

Started the day early as it was a 4 hour drive to Sonoma, I picked up Andy (Falken) on my way. He wasn't driving this time but he did bring his camera to get some pics of me when he wasn't in my passenger seat.. me and Andy used to rip at Sonoma every weekend when we was in our glory days! So many fun memories of banging doors and many many laughs!

We arrived to be told a lot had changed.. the course we used to run was divided up by walls now so it was on a different section of track. Still was a nice layout but I was looking forward to reliving the old days. It was a fast entry with a wall tap if you were feeling up to it, single right hander into a transition to another wall tap. Followed by a tight right and it was run over!..

I was then told that because my car didn't have a cage i wasn't allowed to tandem or run with another car.. Oh well, I know what is next on my list!

TI Cougar - Track Built  - Page 2 Img_2d10

We still shredded most of the day though! It was quite hot out so we went through tyres rather fast, too fast for my liking. After the first few runs i tried getting a bit more aggressive with the car, entering slightly faster, getting closer to walls and tyres. A few more runs and I believe I would have got a wall tap in!

TI Cougar - Track Built  - Page 2 Img_a310

By the end of the day I was entering the first corner with barely any handbrake and was flicking the car in at 80+ mph! The car handled the day perfectly, a few things I want to change up but I needed this day to work those things out. More lock and stiffer springs are needed for sure! With a decent amount of lock I believe the G35 could handle so much more abuse!

TI Cougar - Track Built  - Page 2 Img_f010

Andy was a top guy too!! He was helping me with spotting, and because he knows my driving style so well he could tell me exactly where I was going wrong and where I could push my limits!! He had a few goes in the car too, need to get him back behind the wheel again!!

TI Cougar - Track Built  - Page 2 Img_4110

All in all, I'm happy with how the G35 did! Didn't overheat, didn't lose any oil, clutch feels a bit different now though but it did take a hammering so might be due a change. Got it back to the workshop, won't have time to work on it tomorrow as I have a track day with the Evo Sunday so tomorrow will be spent prepping that. But for now the G35 is off the trailer and on the ramp ready for me to have a proper look around it, see if anything did suffer the day of abuse!

TI Cougar - Track Built  - Page 2 Img_9d10
Back to top Go down
Cougar
Cougar

PostSubject: Re: TI Cougar - Track Built    TI Cougar - Track Built  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2019 11:41 am

Evo update!

Been a minute since I wrote anything about the Evo, I still have it, still enjoying it too! I enjoyed it quite a lot less at the track day I attended yesterday however..
After driving 5 and a half hours to the track I got the Evo off the trailer and into the paddock. After the briefing I was the second group to go out, so I watched on the sidelines looking at what lines people were taking and braking points etc. I did like the way a Subaru was going around, it was in a cusco livery and it was flying!! Very aggressive driving! But very fast lap times too!

Then it was my turn.. I took the first couple of laps as sighting laps, getting a feel for the track and warming the tyres up. Then on the third lap I ran a 2:30, about 10/12 seconds off the leading cars pace but I was just getting into it. When disaster.. my clutch went on the 4th lap!

I got it back to the pits and it was game over, 5 and a half hours drive for 10 minutes of track time. Frustrated I loaded it back up and just drove home. From what I heard the Subaru was very consistent all day, along with an RX7 that was blisteringly quick. I wanted to stay and watch but I was gutted about missing out due to my car that I just wanted to get it back and get it sorted.

Ordered a sequential 6 speed box, straight cut gears and everyhting! Also got Ralliart driveshafts and an Excedy clutch rated up to 600hp. Not that the car will make that just wanted something strong.

Hopefully the next track day won't be as bad!
Back to top Go down
Cougar
Cougar

PostSubject: Re: TI Cougar - Track Built    TI Cougar - Track Built  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2019 9:44 pm

The day had finally come! Me and Andy had got back behind the wheel together and spent the evening drifting and crashing into eachother! After a solid few years of not driving together it didn't take long for us to get back into the swing of things!

TI Cougar - Track Built  - Page 2 Img_9810

It's fair to say that I've caught the drifting bug again, and this time it's serious.. I had some money I had saved up to put into the Evo, plan was to make a serious track car out of it! But after this I'm not too sure now..

TI Cougar - Track Built  - Page 2 Img_dc10

The G35 has taken a serious beating! The rear bumper is needing some work, also got a few wall taps in and busted out a rear light! Think I've ruined my exhaust or Subframe, something kept catching anyway!

TI Cougar - Track Built  - Page 2 Img_6f10

With the drifting bug taking over me I might have bought something I probably shouldn't have done..

TI Cougar - Track Built  - Page 2 Img_2710

Tandem Inc is back!!

Update on the condition of the S14 tomorrow! Here's a hint.. it's not good.
Back to top Go down
Cougar
Cougar

PostSubject: Re: TI Cougar - Track Built    TI Cougar - Track Built  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2019 12:49 pm

The S14 is a bit of a dog it seems! I bought it off Craigslist with Not very many pictures available, it was listed as a non-runner but an "easy fix"... Andy wasn't available to come and view it with me so I went on my own, brought the trailer as I was pretty sure I was coming back with a car.

It's had 4 previous owners with 130k on the clock, the guy that had it now was only a young kid, figured he'd drift it but didn't have the funds to maintain a troublesome car. Think we all know that feeling! He said it did run but then one day it stopped. Internet said it's a fueling problem but I am a bit worried it's something else. In the future it won't have this motor anyway but it would have been nice to slide it around a bit before it was on pieces for months.

And because I'm an idiot I bought it! I spent literally all the money I had saved to be put into the Evo on a broken S14. When I brought it back Andy laughed in my face at what I had bought, then found it hilarious when I tried to start it and absolutely nothing happened. Used the G35 to jump it but still, lifeless. Little bit nervous about this car, it's been sat outside our garage for a few hours and when I came to move it inside there was a little puddle of oil where it was sat. Not a lot, but enough to be a concern.

I wish you could see our garage now, I have the back end of the G35 stripped trying to salvage what I can and do a quick repair. The front end of the Evo is off because I'm fitting a new intercooler to it. And the entire front of the S14 is stripped trying to sort out messy wires, oil leaks, coolant leaks, loose bolts, loose gearbox mounts. You name it and I guarantee it's broken or on it's last legs.
Back to top Go down
Cougar
Cougar

PostSubject: Re: TI Cougar - Track Built    TI Cougar - Track Built  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2019 6:29 am

Update on the the happenings with the S14...
Me and Andy managed to get the SR running, which was a lot of time wasted! It started with a hugeee bottom end knock. Shut it off and right away ripped it out of the car, me and Andy drove it to a scrap yard and left it with them to crush. Not got time or money to try and fix and forge an engine. So with a couple options available I got right on the phone to Sikky. They recommended a few options and routes to go and in the end we settled on them sourcing me an LS3, T56 transmission and everything including mounts, ECU, wiring and some other little bits!

Me and Andy prepared the car for it's new heart and disassembled pretty much everything, cant afford coilovers at all right now so the lowering springs that are on it now will have to do until I can afford some.

The engine arrived at our garage and we got to work! We got the mounts in for the engine and gearbox, I opted for a 4.10 final drive for the 'LS14' as I've now named it. Andy isn't a stranger when it comes to V8 swapping Nissan's so I let him take the lead and I tried to do as much as I could without causing further troubles. Thanks to having access to our own ramp getting around the car was nice and easy, just squeezing the engine in was not...

After a lot of cut knuckles and lot more swearing we had it in and mounted up. Andy started the wiring whilst I got the steering rack and sub frame ready to be put back in. I'd say the swap is 80% done right now, there's a drift day at Indianapolis coming up so I want the car to be ready by then. We just need to finish off the wiring, getting it plumbed in and re assemble the front end and she should be ready to fire up!

I'll keep you updated as and when we finally get it to life!

Back to top Go down
Falken HD
Mechanic
Falken HD

PostSubject: Re: TI Cougar - Track Built    TI Cougar - Track Built  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2019 6:51 pm

Gonna be a good running car thats for sure Cool
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/andy.madej
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TI Cougar - Track Built    TI Cougar - Track Built  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TI Cougar - Track Built
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2