HomeSearchRegisterLog in

Share
 

 WTB a Silvia R, advice??

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
The Iron Fox
Shop Floor Sweeper
The Iron Fox

Posts : 72
Join date : 2013-08-16
Age : 26
Location : NY

WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Empty
PostSubject: WTB a Silvia R, advice??   WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 9:39 pm

I want to import a stock S15 into the States. I know next to nothing about importation aside from the months of research I did on importing legalized R32s and R34s (the latter of which apparently put up around 68,000 project total including a brand new separately-shipped RB26/DETT which I will never have lol). Anyone know how much this might cost after importation and inspection? Also, I'm not worried about the engine. More likely than not I will put an LS3 in it (or LS1 if that would be cheaper) or maybe the engine of a stuffed Stang failing that. I head the Right side driver isn't the issue with importing cars, so I want to leave that save install a two-way shifter on the right side by the door. From what I have researched that won't cost much at all since it's digital, doesn't matter if I put it there or in the trunk or on the roof. XD
Back to top Go down
REVAN
Motor Maestro
REVAN

Posts : 1884
Join date : 2013-07-21
Age : 24
Location : Yokohama, Japan

WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTB a Silvia R, advice??   WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 9:47 pm

Just what i've heard

It isn't legal to have a Silvia S15 in the States until it's 25. you may have seen some, but they are unregistered, or registered in a bad way. RHD isn't the problem. the problem is that the Silvia wasn't made to conform to US regulations and any companies that saying they can is false, it's completely illegal and i think really the only "JDM" Nissan becoming available is the 89 R32 at the end of this year.

*Edit* You can have one of these car in the US but it can only be a track car and if it's ever registered before it's time it will be crushed.
Back to top Go down
ratR0
Admin
ratR0

Posts : 244
Join date : 2013-08-11
Age : 36

WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTB a Silvia R, advice??   WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 10:02 pm

once you are 25+ years you are pretty much in the clear from what ive read. this topic comes up every once in a while on the GRM forums, the general consensus is its totally worthwhile to deal with broker to help you import a car from another market to deal with all the necessary paperwork.

heres some reading

https://www.google.com/#fp=9a975e048e4bd6d6&q=grassrootsmotorsports.com:+importing+car
Back to top Go down
Impulse 3
Motor Maestro
Impulse 3

Posts : 1332
Join date : 2013-05-08
Age : 25
Location : Texas

WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTB a Silvia R, advice??   WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 10:52 pm

Kitsune Ame wrote:
I want to import a stock S15 into the States. I know next to nothing about importation aside from the months of research I did on importing legalized R32s and R34s (the latter of which apparently put up around 68,000 project total including a brand new separately-shipped RB26/DETT which I will never have lol). Anyone know how much this might cost after importation and inspection? Also, I'm not worried about the engine. More likely than not I will put an LS3 in it (or LS1 if that would be cheaper) or maybe the engine of a stuffed Stang failing that. I head the Right side driver isn't the issue with importing cars, so I want to leave that save install a two-way shifter on the right side by the door. From what I have researched that won't cost much at all since it's digital, doesn't matter if I put it there or in the trunk or on the roof. XD
Don't do that man...

I get that whoever owns the car can do whatever they want to it because it's their's, but don't ruin something so special. If it was like a Miata then I wouldn't care, but it's an S15.
Back to top Go down
Stacks
Mechanic


Posts : 270
Join date : 2013-07-09

WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTB a Silvia R, advice??   WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 10:53 pm

Silvia S15 is allowed as an imported car. The only car, iirc, is the Skyline, because they cut so many safety and emissions corners. All you have to do, if your state requires it, is pass an emissions test. This would normally be swapping the motor for a USDM engine.
Back to top Go down
REVAN
Motor Maestro
REVAN

Posts : 1884
Join date : 2013-07-21
Age : 24
Location : Yokohama, Japan

WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTB a Silvia R, advice??   WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 11:04 pm

Impulse 3 wrote:
Kitsune Ame wrote:
I want to import a stock S15 into the States. I know next to nothing about importation aside from the months of research I did on importing legalized R32s and R34s (the latter of which apparently put up around 68,000 project total including a brand new separately-shipped RB26/DETT which I will never have lol). Anyone know how much this might cost after importation and inspection? Also, I'm not worried about the engine. More likely than not I will put an LS3 in it (or LS1 if that would be cheaper) or maybe the engine of a stuffed Stang failing that. I head the Right side driver isn't the issue with importing cars, so I want to leave that save install a two-way shifter on the right side by the door. From what I have researched that won't cost much at all since it's digital, doesn't matter if I put it there or in the trunk or on the roof. XD
Don't do that man...

I get that whoever owns the car can do whatever they want to it because it's their's, but don't ruin something so special. If it was like a Miata then I wouldn't care, but it's an S15.
Ummm sorry Impulse, but this is just BEAUTIFUUUUUUL. And do i even have to mention the sound coming from those pipes UGH
Back to top Go down
Impulse 3
Motor Maestro
Impulse 3

Posts : 1332
Join date : 2013-05-08
Age : 25
Location : Texas

WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTB a Silvia R, advice??   WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 1:01 am

Wow... you just gotta troll.

Cool.
Back to top Go down
OneBadBird
Auto Specialist
OneBadBird

Posts : 727
Join date : 2013-07-16
Age : 27

WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTB a Silvia R, advice??   WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 1:25 am

Erod ls3. Is 500hp. For 7k. A 500hp sr will require a big turbo. Forged internals and a stand alone. It will have lag and a high rpm power band.



"Horsepower sells cars. Torque wins races" a quote from the late carrol Shelby
Back to top Go down
Impulse 3
Motor Maestro
Impulse 3

Posts : 1332
Join date : 2013-05-08
Age : 25
Location : Texas

WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTB a Silvia R, advice??   WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 1:58 am

OneBadBird wrote:
Erod ls3. Is 500hp. For 7k.  A 500hp sr will require a big turbo. Forged internals and a stand alone. It will have lag and a high rpm power band.



"Horsepower sells cars. Torque wins races" a quote from the late carrol Shelby
Yeah, but he modified AN AMERICAN CAR when he did it. He didn't take something awesome and kill it.

There's a difference there lol.
Back to top Go down
OneBadBird
Auto Specialist
OneBadBird

Posts : 727
Join date : 2013-07-16
Age : 27

WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTB a Silvia R, advice??   WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 2:07 am

american car, jap car, euro car.. its just that.. a car if we were in japan the s-chassis is just a cheap drift car. just because us US guys dont have it doesnt mean its anything speical.. dont mean to sound like a dick but the s15 is what it is. a car
Back to top Go down
MichaelC
Mechanic
MichaelC

Posts : 377
Join date : 2013-07-07
Age : 20

WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTB a Silvia R, advice??   WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 2:17 am

build a car that makes you happy, man



and correct me if im wrong, but dont they want to car to pass crash testing too, and not just emissions?
Back to top Go down
Stacks
Mechanic


Posts : 270
Join date : 2013-07-09

WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTB a Silvia R, advice??   WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 2:47 am

S15 passes crash testing also... that's why you can ship them over here pretty easy.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTB a Silvia R, advice??   WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 2:57 am

I would mind trading my 240 hatch for a 1996 240
Back to top Go down
OneBadBird
Auto Specialist
OneBadBird

Posts : 727
Join date : 2013-07-16
Age : 27

WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTB a Silvia R, advice??   WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 3:01 am

kouki ftw! only car i would trade my TA for would be a swapped kouki, or a 4th gen WS6
Back to top Go down
MichaelC
Mechanic
MichaelC

Posts : 377
Join date : 2013-07-07
Age : 20

WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTB a Silvia R, advice??   WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 3:09 am

Stacks wrote:
S15 passes crash testing also... that's why you can ship them over here pretty easy.
thats pretty darn cool, thanks for the info
Back to top Go down
Stacks
Mechanic


Posts : 270
Join date : 2013-07-09

WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTB a Silvia R, advice??   WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 3:52 am

Back to top Go down
Impulse 3
Motor Maestro
Impulse 3

Posts : 1332
Join date : 2013-05-08
Age : 25
Location : Texas

WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTB a Silvia R, advice??   WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 4:05 am

OneBadBird wrote:
american car, jap car, euro car.. its just that.. a car if we were in japan the s-chassis is just a cheap drift car.  just because us US guys dont have it doesnt mean its anything speical.. dont mean to sound like a dick but the s15 is what it is. a car
I agree. But I hate it when people LS swap everything because they just want power.

Any engine can make equivalent, if not more power if built right.
Back to top Go down
OneBadBird
Auto Specialist
OneBadBird

Posts : 727
Join date : 2013-07-16
Age : 27

WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTB a Silvia R, advice??   WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 4:33 am

Indeed. I'm not nocking the sr. There good to a point. It's personal preference I love working on pushrods v8s. I love there power. There sound. There simplicity how easy they are to make said power. You can make a smog legal 500hp LS. Can you build a 500hp Cali legal sr? I do t mean lick it and stick it. I mean legit inspection and emission test legal. It'd be hard as hell and be more expensive


I'm building my car to be as legal as possable. Working air pump. Cat. Ect all to make it pass inspection with flying colors. While making enough torque to rip the tires in 3rd gear


Anyway I'm ranting off. There are some people that do LS swaps for more then power
Back to top Go down
Mosuke
Mechanic


Posts : 340
Join date : 2013-07-08

WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTB a Silvia R, advice??   WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 5:26 am

The Carrol Shelby quote, while cool is wholey inaccurate. Look at the power output of F1 engines. 17,000rpm for massive BHP with feck all torque and no big torque motor would keep up on track
Back to top Go down
The Iron Fox
Shop Floor Sweeper
The Iron Fox

Posts : 72
Join date : 2013-08-16
Age : 26
Location : NY

WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTB a Silvia R, advice??   WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 5:39 am

LOLOLOLOL I hate the LS fad as much as the next guy who hates the LS+Miata copulation.
I'm doing it because it's CHEAP and LEGAL. No corners to cut.
Also because, being it'll be a daily for quite some time, I want it to scare young children every time I drive down the boulevard. x3

Mosuke wrote:
The Carrol Shelby quote, while cool is wholey inaccurate. Look at the power output of F1 engines. 17,000rpm for massive BHP with feck all torque and no big torque motor would keep up on track
Also, you're comparing a paperweight to the paper, of course they won't keep up. xD
Back to top Go down
Mosuke
Mechanic


Posts : 340
Join date : 2013-07-08

WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTB a Silvia R, advice??   WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 6:04 am

No, i was comparing engine to engine, not cars.
Think why throughout all regulation changes, the engines have been high reving low torque. Its because that is the most efficient way of winning races
Current F1 engines produce just a few digits over 200fb-lb and roughly 750bhp

A Harley v twin in the same frame as almost any 600cc jap free reving engine? While the V twin would sound better it would be beaten hands down.

Thanks to Carrol Shelby torque sells cars in the US (at least the perception that torque should be similar to BHP)
Back to top Go down
The Iron Fox
Shop Floor Sweeper
The Iron Fox

Posts : 72
Join date : 2013-08-16
Age : 26
Location : NY

WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTB a Silvia R, advice??   WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 6:13 am

Nah. Big+Bad=??????=Profit. Typically speaking, people usually buy what's grittier here. But then again I speak for the typical image of Americans, not the ricers or the import enthusiasts. Generally because the automotive media is more worried about NASCAR and Drag racing.
Back to top Go down
Mosuke
Mechanic


Posts : 340
Join date : 2013-07-08

WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTB a Silvia R, advice??   WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 6:32 am

Go really fast, turn left lol
Personally i love the sound and feel of a lazy V8 (like the ones in my old range rovers)
And we all know fitting a wing to the back of a fwd 1600cc 4pot makes it faster on the streets than any V8.... vtec y0! So the engine swap should be a miata 4pot!! Its the only logical choice
Back to top Go down
OneBadBird
Auto Specialist
OneBadBird

Posts : 727
Join date : 2013-07-16
Age : 27

WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTB a Silvia R, advice??   WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 11:37 am

I've worked on SBC. And I've worked on DOHC. I prefer the SBC. And I live s chassis. Why not connect the dots. That's how I see it anyway
Back to top Go down
DIS OldManTiger
Admin
DIS OldManTiger

Posts : 2719
Join date : 2013-05-03

WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTB a Silvia R, advice??   WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 21, 2013 11:54 am

Kitsune, please take a look at, and try to fix, your signature.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WTB a Silvia R, advice??   WTB a Silvia R, advice?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
WTB a Silvia R, advice??
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» School Advice.
» Advice for creating a toy room
» New, looking for advice on materials.
» advice to get a BH
» School FAQ + Advice

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Made Not Manufactured :: MnM Main :: Off Topic-
Jump to: